Chelsea from @bakedgreensblog is a leader within the wholesome, clean and minimal cooking movement. She's a loyal fan of One Mighty Mill's fresh-milled products -- and tells us OMM fresh-milled flour is the “only flour she wants to bake with.”
Chelsea's been hard at work developing a delicious OMM recipe for her baking community. We're proud to share her creation: a MIGHTIER CINNAMON ROLL for the Mighty community!
The Easiest Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Rolls (with Maple Greek Yogurt Icing!)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) instant dry yeast
- 3 cups One Mighty Mill Fresh-Milled, Organic, All-Purpose Flour (buy here)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2-3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the dough, stir together the warm water, brown sugar, melted butter, and yeast in a large bowl. Add flour, cinnamon, and salt, and stir again to combine. The dough will be sticky at this point.
- Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl for 2-3 minutes, or until all flour is absorbed and dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour, ideally in the warmest spot in your house.
- Once dough has risen, sprinkle your countertop with a handful of flour, and transfer dough to the counter (for easier clean-up, you can do this step on a piece of parchment paper!). Use your hands (or a rolling pin, if you’d prefer) to press/roll the dough out into a large circle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the melted butter out over the dough, getting butter all the way to the edges. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the butter.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into a tight log, pressing down as you roll to ensure it sticks together well.
- Cut the log into 8 pieces, and transfer them to a large baking dish, leaving an inch or less of space between each roll.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour, again in a warm spot in your house.
- Once rolls have risen, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and slightly golden.
- While rolls bake, make the icing by placing all icing ingredients in a small bowl and stirring to combine. Taste and add more maple syrup, as needed, to achieve your preferred sweetness level.
- Once rolls are baked, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then cover with icing as serve immediately.
To make dough in a stand mixer: place all dough ingredients into the bowl of your mixer and mix on low to combine, then increase speed to medium-high and let mix for 2 minutes, until no longer sticky, and dough holds together in a ball.
To make in advance: this recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance. Follow the instructions through step 7 (making the cinnamon rolls and placing in a baking dish), but place directly in the fridge without letting rise a second time. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before turning on the oven and proceeding with the recipe instructions.
To make dairy-free/vegan: use vegan butter in the dough and filling, and swap a dairy-free cream cheese for the yogurt in the icing.
Click > here < to buy our Fresh-Milled, Organic All-Purpose Flour.
Want to learn about how this recipe came to life? Or view more of Chelsea's healthy and delicious recipes? Visit her website, Baked Greens.