Spring is brunch season and this unstoppable pairing of OMM bread, bacon and eggs is the kind of simple preparation that will impress a crowd or just wow the family. -- Chef Tony
Sheetpan Egg-in-a-Hole with Applewood Bacon, Smoked Cheddar & Chives
12 slices bacon (we love North Country’s certified humane bacon)
6 slices OMM bread (pick your favorite - but our choice would be Mighty Everything Bread)
6 large eggs
2 ripe plum tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch dice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 oz. smoked cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1 pack (0.5 oz.) fresh chives, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oven to 425F and position a rack in the center. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and lay out the bacon, evenly spaced.
2. Bake until the bacon renders much of its fat but is not completely cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towel to drain.
3. Using a 2-inch ring mold (or a jar cap) cut a 2-inch hole out of the bread (save these rounds for croutons or as a base for appetizers). Grease another large, rimmed baking sheet. Set the bread on the baking sheet, evenly spaced. Lay 2 slices of bacon across each slice of bread, cross-hatched over the hole so they form an “x”. Crack the eggs into the center of the bread over the bacon and sprinkle the tomato on top and around the bread. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
4. Bake until the whites of the eggs become solid and the yolks set, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and bake for another 2 minutes so the cheese melts.
5. Sprinkle with the chives and serve.