Sometimes it’s nice to wow ‘em. For a weekend brunch or just as a special treat, try this show-stopping merging of two great culinary creations: summertime smores meets weekend French toast. Follow our simple recipe using OMM’s fresh-milled Whole Wheat bread to make the best French Toast. Then stack with dark chocolate (Taza is our favorite) and marshmallow and bake for 10 minutes (so everything melts together) and then serve topped with maple syrup and powdered sugar. -- Chef Tony
S’Mores French Toast Stacks
For the French Toast:
1 ½ cups whole milk
4 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon (optional)
8 slices OMM Whole Wheat Bread
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
For the S’mores:
8 oz. dark chocolate bar (I like Taza’s 70% dark )
6 oz mini marshmallows (about 2 cups)
Maple syrup, for serving
Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
1. Heat the oven to 350F and set a rack to the center position.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, salt and cinnamon (if using). Transfer to a large baking dish.
2. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron pan or heavy-based skillet over medium heat. Submerge 3 slices of the bread in the egg mixture and flip a couple of times so the mixture soaks in. Add 1 Tbs. of the butter and swirl around the pan so it melts. Add the toast and cook, undisturbed until it browns around the edges, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side browns, 1-2 more minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Cook the remaining pieces of bread in the same manner, adding butter before each batch.
5. To assemble, top 4 toasts with the chocolate and marshmallow and then the remaining 4 pieces of French toast. Set in the oven for 10 minutes so the chocolates and marshmallows melt.
6. Serve drizzled with the maple syrup and sprinkled with powdered sugar.