Chelsea from @bakedgreensblog is a leader within the wholesome, clean and minimal cooking movement. She's a loyal fan of One Mighty Mill's fresh-milled products -- and tells us OMM fresh-milled flour is the “only flour she wants to bake with.”
Chelsea's been hard at work developing a delicious OMM recipe for her baking community. She describes these rolls as "The perfect not-too-sweet breakfast for weekend and/or holiday mornings. Plus, they’re simple enough that anyone (experienced baker or not!) can make them at home"!
Click here to read more about how this recipe came to life, or keep reading to start baking.
The Easiest Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Rolls (with Maple Greek Yogurt Icing!)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) instant dry yeast
- 3 cups One Mighty Mill Fresh-Milled, Organic, All-Purpose Flour (buy here)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2-3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the dough, stir together the warm water, brown sugar, melted butter, and yeast in a large bowl. Add flour, cinnamon, and salt, and stir again to combine. The dough will be sticky at this point.
- Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl for 2-3 minutes, or until all flour is absorbed and dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour, ideally in the warmest spot in your house.
- Once dough has risen, sprinkle your countertop with a handful of flour, and transfer dough to the counter (for easier clean-up, you can do this step on a piece of parchment paper!). Use your hands (or a rolling pin, if you’d prefer) to press/roll the dough out into a large circle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the melted butter out over the dough, getting butter all the way to the edges. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the butter.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into a tight log, pressing down as you roll to ensure it sticks together well.
- Cut the log into 8 pieces, and transfer them to a large baking dish, leaving an inch or less of space between each roll.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour, again in a warm spot in your house.
- Once rolls have risen, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and slightly golden.
- While rolls bake, make the icing by placing all icing ingredients in a small bowl and stirring to combine. Taste and add more maple syrup, as needed, to achieve your preferred sweetness level.
- Once rolls are baked, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then cover with icing as serve immediately.
To make dough in a stand mixer: place all dough ingredients into the bowl of your mixer and mix on low to combine, then increase speed to medium-high and let mix for 2 minutes, until no longer sticky, and dough holds together in a ball.
To make in advance: this recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance. Follow the instructions through step 7 (making the cinnamon rolls and placing in a baking dish), but place directly in the fridge without letting rise a second time. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before turning on the oven and proceeding with the recipe instructions.
To make dairy-free/vegan: use vegan butter in the dough and filling, and swap a dairy-free cream cheese for the yogurt in the icing.
Click > here < to buy our Fresh-Milled, Organic All-Purpose Flour.
Want to view more of Chelsea's healthy and delicious recipes? Visit her website, Baked Greens.